The University of Minnesota is implementing the Rave Guardian Campus Safety App as part of its campus safety initiative. This app provides the ‘virtual escort’ recommended by Cedric Alexander in his Twin Cities campus public safety report completed in January 2021.
Once you register and create a user profile, you may request a virtual escort by selecting the ‘Virtual Escort’ button, entering the location where you’re going and the time it will take to get to your destination. You can invite friends and family to be your "Social Guardian,” so they can monitor you along the way.
When you arrive at your destination, you simply deactivate your timer in the app. If you don’t arrive in the estimated time, and your time expires, your selected guardians and Public Safety will be alerted.
Your location is visible to the Social Guardians selected to monitor your escort, but it is only visible to Public Safety staff if your escort timer expires before you deactivate it. If your timer expires, Public Safety will dispatch someone to check your welfare.
Frequently Asked Questions about Rave Guardian Campus Safety App
What is Rave Guardian?
Who is able to use the Rave Guardian app?
All University of Minnesota students, faculty and staff with a umn.edu email address will be able to sign up and use the Rave Guardian App.
Is Public Safety able to know where everyone with Rave Guardian is?
No. Rave Guardian will only report your location to Public Safety if your Virtual Escort timer has expired. Public Safety will also be notified of your location if you use either the Non-Emergency or Emergency Call buttons and have Location Services activated on your phone.
Who can be assigned as a Guardian?
How does the Virtual Escort feature work?
Once you have downloaded and set up the app, you can invite your friends and family to join your network as “Guardians,” even if they do not have the app themselves. They can be invited to join you during a timed session, such as a walk home. Here’s how it works:
- Select anybody from your phone’s contact list (and/or Public Safety) to be your Guardian to join you during your trip.
- If you do not select Official Guardian, Public Safety will not be able to monitor your virtual escort.
- Add a note explaining to your Guardian explaining where you’re going.
- Select how long you think the trip will take.
- Hit “Start Timer,” and your selected Guardian will receive a text link to monitor your trip.
- During the timed trip, Rave Guardian will share your approximate location and route with your chosen Guardians. Only Guardians you choose can see this data.
- Public Safety will only see your location if you select them as your Official Guardian AND your Safety Timer has expired.
- If the time for your trip has changed, you can use the Add or Subtract buttons to adjust your time.
- Deactivate your timer when you arrive safely at your destination. If you don’t deactivate your timer, Rave Guardian will automatically message your Guardians when it expires.