SAFE-U, UMN’s mass notification system, enables us in emergencies to communicate with our students, staff, faculty, and visitors through voice, text, and email.
All students, staff, and faculty are automatically opted into SAFE-U (unless they’ve specifically requested to be removed).
With a five-campus system as large as the University of Minnesota's, no single method of communication can effectively reach everyone during an emergency. SAFE-U is one of many tools the University uses to distribute emergency information. Other tools include:
- Tone Alert radios
- On-the-ground public safety personnel
- The University homepage, MyU, and campus websites
- Campuswide outdoor public address systems
- University of Minnesota Morris Facebook page
- University of Minnesota Morris Twitter
- Digital signs throughout campuses
The University's goal is to communicate emergency information in many different ways to ensure that the most people receive notification as quickly as possible.