Community of Scholars
The 2023 Community of Scholars scholarship event is an opportunity for eligible students to be considered for our top academic scholarships.
Scholarships and Awards
Only entering first-year students who receive tier one through three UMN Morris’s Achievement Awards are eligible to participate in Community of Scholars. The University of Minnesota Morris’s top scholarships are awarded through this scholarship competition and include:
- Distinguished Scholars Award—$1,500 scholarly stipend, plus your previously awarded Achievement Scholarship package
- Morris Scholars Award—$24,000 scholarship package ($6,000 per year), plus a $2,500 scholarly stipend
- Prairie Scholars Award—full-tuition scholarship package (4 years)
- December 15—Last day to apply to be eligible for scholarships
- December 12–January 20—Individual Virtual Scholarship interviews
- January 28—Celebration of Achievement
Eligible students interested in competing for the Prairie, Morris, and Distinguished scholar awards will receive an email at the address they applied with inviting them to sign up for an individual virtual interview time. This interview will be conducted by current faculty and staff as well as alumni. These interviews will take place via Zoom from mid-December through mid-January. Sign up for your interview.
Celebration of Achievement
The Celebration of Achievement is an opportunity to celebrate you and all of your hard work! Come to campus, meet our students, faculty, and staff, and get a feel for what it will be like to be a scholar here at UMN Morris.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is eligible to participate in Community of Scholars?
- Entering first year students who receive tier one through three of UMN Morris’s Achievement Awards.
- How many students participate?
- In a typical year, more than 300 scholarship finalists are eligible to participate in the Community of Scholars event.
- When will I find out if I have received one of the scholarships?
- Our goal is to notify participants whether or not they have received a scholarship in late January.
- Additional questions? If you have other questions or would like more information, email your admissions counselor, or contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How can I prepare for my interview?
- The interviews are a way for members of the UMN Morris community to get to know you better—and for you to get to know members of the community. Relax and be yourself. To prepare, you may want to browse our website and familiarize yourself with campus opportunities and programs and think about how you would utilize those programs.
- How will my Interview be judged/scored?
- Your interview will be evaluated by a group of faculty, staff, and alumni.
- Will you take into account anything besides my interview when determining if I receive a scholarship?
- Our scholarship awarding process is holistic and takes into account submission scores; your academic achievements; and extracurricular, leadership, and community involvement.
- When will I find out when my interview is?
- You will be invited via the email you applied with to sign up for an interview time slot.
- Is there a dress code?
- There is no dress code, and scholarship recipients are not judged on attire, but remember that looking your best can help you feel your best. Choosing a business casual look might help you feel professional and ready for your interview! Keep in mind that you will be visible to your interviewers in this virtual environment, so please dress appropriately and keep your background free from distractions. Download a branded Zoom background to use during the interviews.
- Who will interview me?
- You will talk with two members of the UMN Morris community. Alumni, faculty, and staff have volunteered and are excited to talk with you. They have not been part of the admissions process, so they will be meeting you for the first time, just as you are meeting them for the first time. The interview isn't meant to be intimidating. Think of this as an opportunity to tell your interviewers what you're passionate about and to get a feel for what life is really like on campus!
- Is there anything I need to do with my computer in advance of the virtual interview?
- Your interview will be held via Zoom. If you have issues with accessing your interview, we will have technical support available.