Understanding Transfer Credits

UMN Morris accepts transfer coursework

  • from institutions that are regionally accredited.
  • from institutions that provide courses that are intended for transfer to baccalaureate programs.
  • comparable in nature, content, and level to courses offered by Morris.
  • applicable to the bachelor of arts.
  • with the grade of D or above, subject to the restrictions of Morris’s degree requirements.

Ways to Earn Credit

All transfer credit is evaluated by the University of Minnesota Morris transfer specialist. Acceptance of transfer credit is governed by University policy, the Morris campus Scholastic Committee, and the faculty. If questions arise with regard to transfer of specific courses, the transfer specialist confers with the appropriate discipline faculty.

Credits and grades are assigned by the previous college. Morris, as the receiving college, decides which credits meet Morris degree requirements and transfer.

UMN Morris accepts the validity of an accredited transfer institution’s decisions regarding credit value, grades, content as described, and level of instruction—introductory or advanced—of its courses and transfers those courses accordingly.

UMN Morris accepts foreign higher education institution coursework applicable to the Morris degree. The transfer specialist determines the level and credit value of courses based on materials provided by the foreign institution. If coursework is submitted to UMN Morris from a foreign institution of higher education for the first time, the transfer specialist uses World Education Services for international credential evaluations.

Credits and grades from previous college

Credits and grades are assigned by the previous college. The University of Minnesota posts only the name of each previous college with the number of credits accepted on students’ official transcripts. Transfer courses appear in the Academic Progress Audit System (APAS) reports. Transfer courses may be applied, with appropriate approval, to general education requirements and major and minor requirements. Grades earned at other institutions will not be calculated into the University of Minnesota GPA except to determine qualification for the teaching licensure program.

Courses in religion

Religious studies from public regionally accredited colleges go through the normal transfer review. Religious studies from private colleges go through a special faculty review committee.

Remedial courses

To be acceptable for transfer, coursework must be college level, not remedial. Coursework is remedial if the majority of the content is found in the usual secondary school curriculum.

Technical and applied courses

Morris accepts transfer courses that are appropriate for application to the mission of a liberal arts college. Courses that are technical and applied will not transfer to Morris. Coursework in the generally accepted liberal arts disciplines (e.g., mathematics, philosophy, history, geology) is usually accepted.

Proprietary colleges

Morris does not routinely accept transfer coursework from proprietary technical colleges, business colleges, and similar postsecondary schools. However, credit from these programs for knowledge acquired in liberal arts may be obtained by special examination. Determination must be made that instruction is collegiate level and appropriate for Morris’s liberal arts mission before credit is awarded.

Grading policy

Morris accepts for transfer coursework with the grade of D or above, subject to the restrictions of Morris’s own degree requirements. See Grading and Transcript Policy.

Understanding Morris degree requirements for transfer students

Not every course that transfers will help the student graduate. Morris’s bachelor of arts program requires coursework in several categories: general education, major/minor courses with prerequisites, and electives. The question is, “Will the student’s credits fulfill requirements of the degree or program chosen?”

Adding teaching licensure after earning a degree from another college

University students transferring to Morris after earning a degree from another college should note the following information.

    • Students need to be admitted to both Morris and the education program.
    • Students may earn a bachelor of arts that would be recorded on the University of Minnesota official academic transcript.
    • Students may elect a “teaching licensure only” option without a degree notation on the official transcript.