They create life-changing experiences. UMN Morris Catalyst enhances the successful undergraduate co-curricular experiences of UMN Morris students by supporting life-changing travel, creative projects, and other adventures. Created in 2004, the fund is supported by gifts from UMN Morris faculty, staff, students, alumni and friends. Funds support individual rather than group experiences.
How the fund works:
- Funds may be requested by individual students to cover expenses for costs associated with the pursuit of life-changing undergraduate co-curricular opportunities. Requests should be for extraordinary opportunities.
- Students may receive funding for one Catalyst experience during their academic career at UMN Morris. All degree-seeking UMN Morris students enrolled for six credits or more and in good academic and community standing are eligible to participate.
- Funding requests will be reviewed by the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs. Funds distributed and the number of recipients is determined at the discretion of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.
If you are funded:
- Work with the Senior Director of Student Activities to coordinate travel plans and funding reimbursements.
- Have a great experience.
- Submit a one-page summary report on the experience and two to four photos to receive the final funding allocation. Photos and quotes may be used on campus websites and in other materials.
- While participating in the experience, students will adhere to UMN Morris policies and procedures, which include the UMN Student Conduct Code and Student Activities travel policy. A copy of the conduct code is available on the Safety and Emergencies website.
- Travel funding includes the expectation that the travel is connected to the University of Minnesota Morris. As such students are expected to conduct themselves respectfully and responsibly in demeanor, dialogue, and behavior aligned with student expectations and the conduct code.
- It is expected that funds will be used to support activities consistent with the stated purpose of the application.
- Violation of these or other related policies may result in a revoking of Catalyst funding and Student Behavior Committee action as outlined in the Student Conduct Code.
Past Catalyst Fund Awards have been allocated to:
- Support improv students travel to a national improv competition
- Support a student travel expenses to participate in a Icelandic research expedition internship
- Send students with a passion for politics to their respective Democratic and Republican national conventions.
- Support recording expenses related to recording of a student's original composition for the annual ERM Media CD titled Masterworks of the New Era.
- Support exceptional Cougar football players participation in the All-American Bowl.
If you would like to donate to provide more extraordinary opportunities for Morris students, please contact the Development Office.
To apply or for more information
Complete the application form and return to the Office for Student Affairs or email email@example.com. You may email or call the Office of Student Affairs at 320-589-6013 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Still in search of funding?
Here are some other student travel and research grants and resources to consider: