The top 5 things to consider when planning a major in geology
- Take math and chemistry as soon as possible! Take the math before you forget what you learned in high school and take chemistry because it is needed for your second year courses (mineralogy and petrology).
- Introduce yourself to a geology faculty member right away and inform them of your plans.
- Once you have taken physical geology, immediately take either Sedimentology or the mineralogy/petrology sequence (a full year). Do not put it off!
- Several required courses for the geology major are offered every other year. When you plan your major keep that in mind.
- Begin planning early to take advantage of research, Study Abroad, and the National Student Exchange opportunities!