Military Leave Policy

Under current University policy, students who enlist for military service, or are serving in Reserve or National Guard units who are called to active military duty, are eligible to withdraw from classes with a full refund of tuition. Students receiving financial aid will be subject to refund policies as provided for by the agencies sponsoring the aid.

When appropriate, instructors may prefer to make arrangements for the student to take an incomplete. The “Grading and Transcripts” policy requires that an incomplete be made up within one calendar year of the end of the term in which the incomplete is given. When students are called to active military duty, and reach agreement with their instructor(s) to take an incomplete, they will have up to one calendar year following their discharge from active duty to complete any incompletes.


As a general rule, students will be eligible for a full refund of tuition and fees, and the balance of unused University housing and food service charges at the time of withdrawal.

Students must provide Student Affairs, 309 Behmler Hall, with a copy of the military orders, and complete a Retroactive Tuition Petition form and a Request for Leave of Absence form. (If the student is required by the military to leave immediately, a family member or friend may submit a copy of the orders and complete the Retroactive Tuition Petition form and the Leave of Absence form for the student.) Student Affairs will provide a copy of each form to the Office of the Registrar, 212 Behmler Hall.

Students receiving Veterans Benefits must notify the One Stop Student Services, 105 Behmler Hall, and the Veterans Administration (VA) if they plan to withdraw from course(s). The Financial Aid office will work with the VA regarding last day of attendance.

Student Affairs will also work with Financial Aid Office staff before making a decision on the request for tuition reimbursement to avoid negative financial aid implications. In some circumstances a student may want to ask their instructors about incompletes for coursework, as an alternative to canceling, when he or she is receiving financial aid.

Textbooks may be returned to the UMN Morris Bookstore for credit. Students will need to present their UMN Morris Bookstore receipt, a photo ID, and their military orders at the service counter to receive a refund.

Students will be placed on a Leave of Absence from their current college. Within one calendar year following the return from active duty, students must contact the Office of the Registrar to make arrangements for reinstatement.

Spouses of Service Members Called to Active Duty

Students who are the spouse of a service member and have a dependent child are able to withdraw from classes with a full refund of tuition if their spouse is called to active duty. The same terms and conditions apply to these students as to the service members. Students must present the service members' orders to Morris One Stop to begin the process of reimbursement.