Skip navigation

You are here

Transfer Credit


The Transferology transfer tool is a valuable resource for students who are considering taking courses at other colleges to transfer to Morris. The web database provides transfer course equivalency information that can be reviewed before making decisions about summer or online courses. 

UMN Morris Accepts Transfer Coursework:

  • from institutions that are regionally accredited.
  • from institutions that provide courses that are intended for transfer to baccalaureate programs.
  • comparable in nature, content, and level to courses offered by Morris.
  • applicable to the bachelor of arts.
  • with the grade of D or above, subject to the restrictions of Morris's degree requirements.

Transfer Credit Review Process

All transfer credit is evaluated by the University of Minnesota, Morris transfer evaluation coordinator. Acceptance of transfer credit is governed by University policy, the Morris campus Scholastic Committee, and the faculty. If questions arise with regard to transfer of specific courses, the transfer evaluation coordinator confers with the appropriate discipline faculty.

University of Minnesota, Morris accepts higher education institution coursework applicable to the Morris degree. The transfer evaluation coordinator determines the level and credit value of courses based on materials provided by the foreign institution.

Specific Transfer Credit Policies

Credits and Grades from Previous College
Credits and grades are assigned by the previous college. The University of Minnesota posts only the name of each previous college with the number of credits accepted on students' official transcripts. Transfer courses appear in the Academic Progress Audit System (APAS) reports. Transfer courses may be applied, with appropriate approval, to general education requirements and major and minor requirements. Per the Grading and Transcript Policy, grades earned at other institutions will not be calculated into the University of Minnesota GPA except to determine qualification for the teaching licensure program. 

Courses in Religion
Religious studies from public regionally accredited colleges go through the normal transfer review. Religious studies from private colleges go through a special faculty review committee. Religious studies courses transfer if they are not doctrinal, confessional, or sectarian in nature.

Remedial Courses
To be acceptable for transfer, coursework must be college level, not remedial. Coursework is remedial if the majority of the content is found in the usual secondary school curriculum.

Technical and Applied Courses
Morris accepts transfer courses that are appropriate for application to the mission of a liberal arts college. Courses that are technical and applied will not transfer to Morris. Coursework in the generally accepted liberal arts disciplines (e.g., mathematics, philosophy, history, geology) is usually accepted. 

Proprietary Colleges
Morris does not routinely accept transfer coursework from proprietary technical colleges, business colleges, and similar postsecondary schools. However, credit from these programs for knowledge acquired in liberal arts may be obtained by special examination. Determination must be made that instruction in collegiate level and appropriate for Morris's liberal arts mission before credit is awarded.

Grading Policy
Morris accepts for transfer coursework with the grade of D or above, subject to the restrictions of Morris's own degree requirements. See Grading and Transcript Policy.

For further information about our transfer credit policy please see our Transfer of Undergraduate Credit policy. 


Understanding Morris Degree Requirements for Transfer Students

Not every course that transfers will help the student graduate. Morris's bachelor of arts program requires coursework in several categories: general education, major/minor courses with prerequisites, and electives. The question is, "Will the student's credits fulfill requirements of the degree or program chosen?"


Adding Teaching Licensure after Earning a Degree from Another College

University students transferring to Morris after earning a degree from another college should note the following information.

  • Students need to be admitted to both Morris and the education program.
  • Students may earn a bachelor of arts that would be recorded on the University of Minnesota official academic transcript.
  • Students may elect a "teaching licensure only" option without a degree notation on the official transcript.


Minnesota Transfer Curriculum

Transfer students who have earned an associate of arts from a Minnesota institution or have earned the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MNTC) prior to enrolling at Morris as degree-seeking students will have all general education requirements for a bachelor of arts satisfied except for the world language requirement. Also note that Morris students must earn 60 credits in liberal arts coursework outside the discipline of their majors.

The associate of arts or MNTC statement must be posted on the transcript submitted to the University of Minnesota, Morris in order for a student to receive MNTC credits at Morris.

While an associate of arts earned at nonMinnesota colleges does not qualify for the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum, all transfer courses completed will be evaluated for Morris general education fulfillment. Prospective out-of-state students planning to transfer to Morris after completing an associate of arts may request a course prior approval to confirm that courses completed at the out-of-state institution will fulfill Morris general education requirements upon admission.


General Education Requirements Satisfied with MNTC at Morris

Intellectual Community (IC)
Skills for the Liberal Arts

  • Writing for the Liberal Arts (WLA)
  • Mathematical/Symbolic Reasoning (M/SR)
  • Artistic Performance (ArtP)

Expanding Perspectives

  • Historical Perspectives (Hist)
  • Human Behavior, Social Processes, and Institutions (SS)
  • Communication, Language, Literature, and Philosophy (Hum)
  • Fine Arts (FA)
  • Physical and Biological Sciences (Sci- without a lab; Sci-L- with a lab)
  • The Global Village - at least two categories required
    • Human Diversity (HDiv)
    • People and the Environment (Envt)
    • International Perspective (IP)
    • Ethical and Civic Responsibility (E/CR)

AP, IB, and CLEP

The University of Minnesota Morris awards credit for satisfactory scores on standardized national exams such as: Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and College Level Examination Program (CLEP). Students must submit a transcript from the agency where the credits originate.

The University of Minnesota has a systemwide policy for awarding credit by examination. 

  • The minimum score for awarding AP credit is 3.
  • The minimum score for awarding IB credit is 5, or 4 if part of the diploma.
  • Scores on CLEP examinations follow national norms and vary by subject.

Students may also earn credit by special examinations arranged individually and provided at the discretion of the discipline. For special examinations, students meet with the Scholastic Committee coordinator to arrange the examinations.