Preferred Name

Morris preferred and primary name statement

The University of Minnesota Morris recognizes that many of its students use a name other than their legal/primary name. The University of Minnesota Morris permits students to self-manage preferred names within the University's information system by identifying a preferred name in addition to their legal/primary name. The student’s preferred name should be used whenever possible in communications and reporting, except where the use of the legal name is necessitated by University business or legal requirements. The University of Minnesota Morris reserves the right to ensure names:

  • Are in compliance with other University policies such as the Student Conduct Code which prohibits providing false or misleading information;
  • Are not being used to avoid legal obligation; and
  • Do not include highly offensive or derogatory language.

Working statement, August 2016
Universitywide statement to be adopted when completed

Adding a preferred name to your record

If you wish the University of Minnesota Morris to use your primary/legal name in communications and reporting, no action is needed.

If you wish the University of Minnesota Morris to use a preferred name in communications and reporting whenever possible, add your preferred name to your student record through MyU.

How to: Set a preferred name or degree name

Your preferred name will appear in these systems*

  • Academic Progress Audit System (APAS) reports
  • Advising rosters
  • Campus directory (unless you have chosen suppression)
  • Campus Connection (updated at the beginning of each semester, individuals can directly update in Campus Connection during the semester, but the preferred name must also be updated in MyU)
  • Class rosters
  • Dean's List
  • Honors program
  • Library "Pounce" software
  • Major and minor lists
  • Moodle (must be submitted via MyU before your instructor generates the class information)
  • MyU
  • Parent/Guest access
  • Probation lists
  • U Card

*Systems require at least 24 hours for preferred name to appear.

Note: If you submit a preferred name, all systems that have the ability to use a preferred name will do so. It is not possible to choose which systems should use your preferred name and which systems should use your legal name.

Additional steps needed in addition to MyU for particular student groups

Athletic team rosters
If you are a student athlete you must submit a preferred name via the athletic team on which you participate.
Commencement program and diplomas
If you are a graduating senior, you will confirm the name to be used in the printed Commencement program and on the diploma when you apply to graduate.
Residence hall rosters
Students must submit preferred names to Residential Life and via MyU.
Email address
If you are a student who wishes to change your email address, which is created from your primary name, you may contact the Morris campus Helpdesk for assistance.

Your primary/legal name must appear in these systems even if you submit a preferred name via MyU

  • Billing and payment documents
  • Financial aid documents
  • International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)
  • Tax documents
  • Transcripts, official and unofficial
  • Student employment and payroll documents
  • Study abroad, study away, and international student documents

Morris systems under review for preferred name use in the future

  • ASTRA scheduling system
  • University event invitations to you and to your parents

Name suppression

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law designed to protect the privacy of student educational records. FERPA identifies certain student information that is considered public information, including your name.

Public student information as identified by FERPA

  • Name
  • Address
  • Email address
  • Telephone number
  • Dates of enrollment
  • Enrollment status
  • Major
  • Adviser
  • College
  • Class (first-year, sophomore, junior, senior)
  • Academic awards/honors (including a published Dean’s list and newspaper releases)
  • Degree awarded

If you do not wish the University of Minnesota Morris to share your name with external audiences, you have the right to suppress this information. More information can be found in the Board of Regents Policy on access to student education records.

How to: Set directory suppression

Legally changing your name

To record a legal change to your primary name, please complete the Name Change Request form and submit to the Office of the Registrar. You must include photocopies of identification materials that may include a:

  • Social Security card
  • Driver's license
  • Court order
  • Passport or visa

Change Legal Name and/or Gender (Sex) form