Financial support for student research is available through several venues. University funding opportunities are consolidated by the Academic Center for Enrichment (ACE).
- Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP), a University-wide program which provides academically talented students the opportunity to earn up to $1,400 assisting faculty with scholarly and creative projects.
- The Morris Academic Partners program (MAP), is unique to the Morris campus and provides paid research partnerships to academically talented, qualified third-year students. The standard stipend is $2,000.
Selected Student Projects
- “Comparative Analysis of Cognitive Skills, Personality Traits, and Social and Economic Preferences among Truckers, UMM Students, and Morris-Area Adults,” Kim Rocha (UMM ’11). UMM Undergraduate Research Symposium, April 2011. Supervised by S. Burks and J. Anderson (UMM Statistics).
- “Truck Driver Sleep Apnea: Exploring the Effects,” Manjari Govada (UMM ’12) and Ruth Potter (UMM ’12), UMM Undergraduate Research Symposium, April 2011. Supervised by S. Burks and J. Anderson (UMM Statistics)
- "Thermal Storage: A Strategy for Increasing the Value of Intermittent Energy Sources," Manjari Govada, Fall-Spring 2011–12. Supervised by A. Kildegaard.
- "Time-of-Day Pricing: The Secret to Incentivizing Photovoltaic Distributed Generation?” Nic Johnson, Fall-Spring 2011–12. Supervised by A. Kildegaard.
- "Wind Turbine Gearbox Reliability: The Case for an Alternative Technology," Dugan Flanders, Fall 2009–Spring 2011. Supervised by A. Kildegaard.
- "National and State-by-State Inventory of Biomass Resources," Julie Dennis, Summer 2010.
- "How Far has International Financial Market Integration Reached?" Yunfeng Xie. Fall-Spring 2010–2011. Supervised by S. Xiao.
- "An Empirical Analysis of Insider Trading in China’s Stock Market," Wei-Yien Wong. Fall–Spring 2010–2011. Supervised by S. Xiao.
- "Active Investment vs. Passive Investment," Kristin Starner. Fall–Spring 2010–2011. Supervised by S. Xiao.
- "South Korean Business Groups," Ju Hyun Ahn. Fall–Spring 2010–2011. Supervised by S. Xiao.
- "The Investment Strategies of Sovereign Wealth Funds: Trend Chasing or Bargain Hunting," Linyin Miao. Fall–Spring 2010–2011. Supervised by S. Xiao.
- “Effects of Body Mass Index on Accident Risk,” Chris Thorne (UMM ’10) and Tricia Steffen (UMM ’10), UMM Undergraduate Research Symposium, April 2010. Supervised by S. Burks and J. Anderson (UMM Statistics).
- "Determinants of Health Expenditures: A Cross-Country Analysis Between U.S. and OECD Countries," Qiaj Vang, Fall-Spring 2009–2010. Supervised by S. Xiao.
Selected Faculty Posters and Presentations
- "Financial development, government ownership of banks, and firm innovation." Shan Zhao, Shanghai University of Finance and Economics, Allied Social Science Association Meetings, Chicago, IL, January 2012.
- “Sleep Apnea and the Risk of Crashes among Tractor-Trailer Drivers.” S. Burks with J. Anderson (UMM Statistics), M. Bombyk (UMM ’10), D. Ganzhorn (UMM ’09), T. Ginader (UMM ’13), and X. Jiao (UMM ’12), M. Berger, Precision Pulmonary Diagnostics, S. Kales and V. Varvarigou, Harvard Medical School, and J. Hickman and E. Mabry, VirginiaTech Transportation Institute. Presented by Burks at the American Sleep Apnea Association’s Sleep Apnea and Multi-Modal Transportation Conference, Baltimore, MD, November 9, 2011.
- "How do agency costs affect firm performance? Evidence from China.” with Shan Zhao, Shanghai University of Finance and Economics. European Journal of Finance Conference on Chinese Capital Markets, Durham, UK, September 2011.
- “The Predictive Power of Differences in Exposure and Individual Driver Characteristics for Accidents among Tractor-Trailer Drivers.” S. Burks with J. Anderson (UMM Statistics), M. Bombyk (UMM ’10), D. Ganzhorn (UMM ’08), and M. Govada (UMM ’13). Presented by Burks at the Center for Transportation Studies, University of Minnesota, Annual Research Conference, Minneapolis, MN, May, 2011
- “Lab Measures of Other-Regarding Behavior Predict (Some) Choices in a Natural On-the-job Social Dilemma: Evidence from the Truckers & Turnover Project.” S. Burks with M. Bombyk (UMM ’10), J. Carpenter, Middlebury College, D. Ganzhorn (UMM ’08), L. Götte, University of Lausanne, D. Nosenzo, University of Nottingham, and A. Rustichini, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities and University of Cambridge, UK. Presented by Burks at the following events:
- Advances in Field Experiments Conference, Wharton School of Business, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, October, 2010
- American Economic Association/Allied Social Science Association Annual Meetings, Denver, IL, January, 2011
- Research seminar at the Centre for Decision Research & Experimental Economics (CeDEx), University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK, February 2011,
- Research Seminar at the Paris School of Economics, University of Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, Paris, France, February, 2011.
- “Hydrostatic Transmission for Wind Power Generation.” Poster presentation at the Initiative for Renewable Energy and the Environment (IREE) Annual Research Symposium, St. Paul, MN, Nov. 2010. Bohlman, Dutta, Flanders, Gust, Kildegaard, Thul, & Stelson.
- “Avoiding Peak Demand: A Low-Tech ‘Smart Grid’ for the UMM Campus.” M. Zajicek (UMM ’10), presented at the National Conference on Undergraduate Research, Missoula Montana, April 2010.
Selected Student/Faculty Co-Authored Papers
- Burks, S. with R. Knipling, Traffic Safety and Human Factors Consultant, K. Starner (UMM ’11), C. Thorne (UMM ’11), and M. Barnes (UMM ’10), “Driver Selection Tests & Measurement,” Commercial Truck & Bus Safety Synthesis Program (CTBSSP) Synthesis 21, Transportation Research Board, National Research Council, January, 2012.
- K. Nelson (UMM ’13, under the supervision of S. Burks) with Traffic Safety and Human Factors Consultant Ronald Knipling, “Safety Management in Small Motor Carriers,” Commercial Truck & Bus Safety Synthesis Program (CTBSSP) Synthesis 22, Transportation Research Board, National Research Council, January, 2012.
- Kildegaard, A., and Hildreth, L. (UMM ’06): “Avoided Demand Charges and Behind-the-Meter Wind: Insights from an Application at the University of Minnesota,” Wind Energy, V.12, No.4, May 2009.
Selected Faculty Publications
- Bina, Cyrus, Alternative Theories of Competition: Challenges to the Orthodoxy, co-edited (book), Routledge, 2012
- Bina, Cyrus, Oil, War, and the Global Polity (book), Palgrave/Macmillan, (forthcoming 2012)
- Burks, S., (UMM Economics & Management) with E. Krupka, University of Michigan, “A Multi-method Approach to Identifying Norms and Normative Expectations within a Corporate Hierarchy: Evidence from the Financial Services Industry,” Management Science, Vol. 58, No. 1 (January, 2012), pp. 203-217.
(Note: three students served as research assistants in the field work.)
- Sheng Xiao and Shan Zhao, Shanghai University of Finance and Economics: “How do Agency Problems Affect Firm Value?—Evidence From China.” European Journal of Finance (forthcoming 2012).
- Sheng Xiao and Shan Zhao: “Financial development, government ownership of banks, and firm innovation,” Journal of International Money and Finance, (forthcoming 2012).
- Bina, Cyrus, Oil: A Time Machine: Journey Beyond Fanciful Economics and Frightful Politics, linusbooks.com, 2011
- Kildegaard, A., and Blackman, A.: “Clean Technological Change in Developing-Country Industrial Clusters: Mexican Leather Tanning.” Environmental Economics and Policy Studies, V.12, No.3., Sept. 2010.
- Burks, S., (UMM Economics & Management) with J. Carpenter, Middlebury College, L. Götte, University of Lausanne, and A. Rustichini, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities and University of Cambridge, UK, “Cognitive Skills Affect Economic Preferences, Social Awareness, and Job Attachment,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, Vol. 106, No. 19 (May 12, 2009), pp. 7745-50.
(Note: five students served as research assistants in the field work.)
- S. Burks with J. Carpenter, Middlebury College and L. Götte, Boston Federal Reserve Bank, “Performance Pay and Worker Cooperation: Evidence from an Artefactual Field Experiment,” special issue on field experiments of the Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, Vol. 70, No. 3 (2009): 459-469
- S. Burks and K. Boyer, Michigan State University, Southern Economic Journal, Vol. 75, No. 4 (2009), pp. 1220-1237 “Stuck in the Slow Lane: Undoing Traffic Composition Biases in the Measurement of Labor Productivity in the U.S. Trucking Industry,”
- Kildegaard, A.: “Green Certificate Markets, the Risk of Over-Investment, and the Role of Long-Term Contracts.” Energy Policy, V.36, No.9, Sept., 2008.
- Sheng Xiao and Peter L. Rousseau: “Change of control and the success of China’s share issue privatization,” China Economic Review, 2008, Vol. 19, pp. 605-613.